11 March 2013

It's a Monday

So I haven't written a post in so dang long, I need to write a post!

...Seriously though, this computer issue has been a roller coaster. Microsoft customer service sucks. What happened to my old computer is a long story, but I am now the proud owner of a new CHROMEBOOK. I am free, FREE from Microsoft!

And for those of you who have heard negative things about Chromebooks, they are LIES. I love my Chromebook. But I will tell you of why it is awesome in some future post.

I will also continue my list of movies that I am looking forward to this year. ... Eventually. I had no intention for it to take this long. Oops. :/

Also also, my review of How to Train Your Dragon has been lost to the ages. I was stupid and saved it to my computer before it crashed, and not in the cloud. (Stupid!) So now it's been like a month since I've seen it, and I really don't feel like rewriting it.

Anywhoo, here is my random thought process for today: a few weeks back, I was having a discussion with a "frenemy" of mine (we're actually friends, but we enjoy calling ourselves that), and we were talking about society's perception of the days of the week. The question that was presented was along these lines: If society were to abolish weekends, as in, if we had to go to school and work on Saturdays and Sundays and there was absolutely no difference in events between days of the week, would specific days lose their meaning?

My thoughts were something like this: it seems like we measure every day in reference to the weekend: Saturday and Sunday are the weekend. Monday is the crappy day where we have to end our weekend. Friday is the awesome day where the weekend is about to begin. Wednesday is "hump day," when we're halfway to the weekend. And Tuesday and Thursday are those awkward days in between. (I could never get the hang of Thursdays.) If the weekend lost its significance, then we would lose significance for the other days as well. Would we even remember when it is Monday? Or any other day?

Consider the days of the month, for example. People always ask: "What's the date? I forget, is it the 10th or the 11th?" For most people, unless it is a birthday, anniversary, or some other special event, the actual number date has little significance. If we lost weekends, would people always be asking a similar question: "I forget, is today Sunday, or Monday?" I think that this is what would happen.

My "frenemy," on the other hand, believes that if we lost weekends, we would attach new meaning and significance to specific days of the week. What do you all think?

-Captain Z

No comments:

Post a Comment